Adjustment of Status & Naturalization

Adjustment of Status Lawyer in San Francisco

Helping Clients Obtain Green Cards from Within the United States

Everyone’s immigration journey involves a unique set of processes and obstacles. Some people obtain immigrant visas from abroad that allow them to enter the United States as permanent residents. Others flee dangerous conditions in their home countries and obtain humanitarian relief in the United States. Still others arrive in the United States with a temporary visa or as an asylum-seeker, and they later decide to adjust their status.

In immigration law, “adjustment of status” specifically refers to the process of becoming a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) from within the United States—as opposed to obtaining an immigrant visa through consular processing and entering as a permanent resident.

If you are already in the United States but do not yet have a green card, our San Francisco adjustment of status attorney at Harrison Law Office, P.C. is here to assist you. Founded in 2014, our law firm has handled hundreds of cases, and we have developed an admirably high approval rate for many kinds of petitions and applications. In other words, we are extraordinarily good at what we do, and we want to help you and your loved ones accomplish your immigration goals as soon as possible.

Who Can Adjust Their Status?

Not everyone who is residing in the United States can qualify for adjustment of status.

You may be able to adjust your status if:

  • You are here on a dual intent nonimmigrant visa (e.g. K-1 visa for fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens, L-1 visa for intracompany transferees, H-1B visa for specialty workers, E-2 visa for investors, or O-1 visa for those with extraordinary talents or achievements)
  • You are here on a U or T humanitarian visa (for certain victims of human trafficking and other serious crimes)
  • You were granted asylum at least one year ago and have lived continuously in the U.S. in the last year

Unfortunately, you will most likely not be able to adjust your status if you are here under Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) or Temporary Protected Status (TPS). You would first need to obtain an immigrant visa based on family or employment.

This is not a comprehensive list of situations that may or may not allow you to adjust your status. Furthermore, you will need to meet all requirements for lawful permanent residence. Our attorney can answer all your questions about eligibility before helping you begin the adjustment of status process.

    Call (415) 212-6817 or contact us online to schedule yours today—we offer services in multiple languages for our non-English speaking clients.

    The Adjustment of Status Timeline

    At Harrison Law Office, P.C., our attorney is more than just your legal advocate. He is here to help you understand everything you need to know about immigration law, including what to expect from the adjustment of status process.

    To adjust your status, you will need to:

    1. Discuss your situation with our attorney so we can determine whether you are eligible
    2. Have a family member or U.S. employer file an immigrant petition on your behalf (unless you can self-petition, which is only possible for E-2 visa holders and certain humanitarian visa holders)
    3. Check the Visa Bulletin to see whether a visa is available in your category (unless you are the immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, in which case you can skip to #4)
    4. File Form I-485
    5. Attend a biometrics appointment and, if necessary, an interview
    6. Respond to a request for additional evidence (if applicable)
    7. Receive a decision from USCIS (either a notice of approval or a denial with an explanation as to why you were denied)
    8. File a motion to reopen or reconsider if your application is denied

    When you choose Harrison Law Office, P.C., you can trust our adjustment of status attorney to stand by your side from beginning to end. He will answer all your questions along the way and help you make decisions that will maximize your likelihood of approval.

    Need Assistance with the Naturalization Process?

    If you were born in another country and are interested in becoming a U.S. citizen, you must go through the naturalization process. Immigrants must be at least 18 years of age at the time of filing their application. In addition, they must meet specific requirements, including:

    • Have lawful permanent residence in the U.S. for three or five years, depending on the category of naturalization
    • Have been continuously physically present in the U.S.
    • Are able to speak, write, and read basic English and have an understanding of U.S. government and history
    • Have a demonstrated good moral character
    • Can demonstrate loyalty to the principles held in the Constitution
    • Take the Oath of Allegiance

    Let’s get started on your case right away. Call (415) 212-6817 or contact us online to schedule your complimentary case evaluation.

    Get the Immigration Experience & Commitment Your Case Deserves

    Schedule a Consultation
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your phone number.
      This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.