Fiancé K-1

San Francisco K1 Visa Attorney for Fiancé(e) Immigration

Get in Touch | Client Testimonials | Call Us Now

Marrying someone who is a citizen of another country can be challenging for many reasons. Fortunately, the United States government allows U.S. citizens to obtain visas for their foreign-citizen fiancé(e)s. The result of this process is a green card for the foreign citizen, which eventually allows them to apply for naturalization (i.e. citizenship).

However, the immigration process for the fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens can be very difficult. The U.S. government works hard to prevent marriage fraud, which is when a foreign citizen marries a U.S. citizen solely to obtain a green card. As such, you will need to demonstrate the validity of your relationship through many different forms of evidence.

At Harrison Law Office, P.C., our fiancé(e) visa attorney in San Francisco can help you maximize your likelihood of success. Since 2014, our law firm has handled hundreds of complex immigration cases,and we use this experience every day to provide highly effective counsel and representation. As a result, we have a proven track record of success and an outstanding approval rate.

We provide services in English, Spanish, Chinese, and Turkish. If you need services in a different language, we can provide a translator. Call (415) 212-6817 or contact us online to get started today.

Step-by-Step Guide to Securing a K1 Visa in San Francisco

Formally called a K-1 visa, a fiancé(e) visa is what a foreign-citizen fiancé(e) will use to enter the United States. The U.S. citizen will need to submit a petition, and, once this petition is approved, the foreign citizen will then apply for a K-1 visa through consular processing at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad. Unfortunately, only U.S. citizens can petition for a K-1 visa for their fiancé(e). Lawful permanent residents must marry their foreign-citizen fiancé(e) and then petition for a spousal visa.

The K-1 visa is technically a nonimmigrant (temporary) visa, and it is only valid for 90 days. During this 90-day period, the U.S. citizen and their foreign-citizen fiancé(e) MUST get married. When they do, the foreign citizen can then apply to adjust their status to permanent residence. They will then receive a conditional green card.

Understanding Conditional Green Cards for K1 Visa Holders

While regular green cards must be renewed every ten years, a conditional green card is only valid for two years. This does not mean the person will need to leave the United States after two years—they will simply need to apply to remove the conditions on their permanent residence. Once USCIS removes the conditions, they will receive a regular green card. EB-5 investor visas also result in conditional green cards because the recipient needs to demonstrate their fulfillment of certain requirements while living in the United States.

The reason K-1 visa holders receive conditional green cards is that USCIS wants a second opportunity to assess the validity of the person’s marriage. If, for example, the conditional green card holder divorced their U.S. citizen spouse immediately after receiving their conditional green card, USCIS may determine that the marriage was fraudulent, and the conditional green card holder would lose their status.

Our attorney at Harrison Law Office, P.C. is here to help clients not only obtain a K-1 visa but also adjust their status, prove the validity of their marriage to USCIS, and successfully remove the conditions from their permanent residence. Attorney Harrison can help you gather evidence and make all the right decisions from beginning to end.

Do you need assistance with your K-1 visa process? Our San Francisco fiancé(e) visa lawyer is here to help. Call (415) 212-6817 or reach out to us online to schedule your consultation today.

Get the Immigration Experience & Commitment Your Case Deserves

Schedule a Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.